User experience (UX) probably plays the most crucial role in making a website a big success. In case you don’t know, UX is all about making your users’ journey on your website seamless through appealing design, quality content, mobile optimization, and easy navigation. But wait, these are just a number of factors that define the user experience in general. But in order to create a great user experience, you must know what your users would prefer or like. Hence, comes the need for a usability testing tool. In order to know the right combinations of visuals, navigation, interaction, and more for a website, there are numerous usability testing tools available in the market. So, in this post, we will be talking about those 15 best usability testing tools to define the effectiveness of user experience.
UserTesting is a big name in the usability testing scenario. It comes with a wide set of features. Of all the Live Conversation is the key feature of this tool. It allows you to have conversations with the live participants. Let’s have a look at some other popular features of the UserTesting tool.
- It comes with a panel-based usability testing service
- Fast process and low cost.
- Feedback can be provided in the form of a written summary or Flash videos.
- Not just this, the tool also has the ability to rate testers to get quality information.
Usabilla is a comprehensive tool that comes with a set of amazing features such as:
- Mobile feedback
- Heat maps
- Targeted feedback forms
- Feedback widgets to gather information or data via email
- Exit surveys
Along with that, Usabilla also allows you to mouse clicks of your users in the form of both qualitative and quantitative data. The data can be downloaded in different formats such as CSV, TXT, PDF, and XML.
Userzoom is one of those few usability testing tools that allow users to perform different types of testing including screen recording, click testing, and card sorting. With this tool, it is quite easy for users to add and edit the tasks. One of the best things about this tool is that it generates reports post-test. Now, this report gives a failure rate and success rate to help developers to understand the participant better. Some of the key features of Userzoom are:
- Provides quick feedback on prototypes and design concepts.
- Supports fast automated reports and results
- It is an effective tool all UX insight needs
- Data encryption with AES-256 bit.
Optimizely is another popular usability testing tool that supports A/B testing. In other words, it is known as A/B testing tool which is very effective and easy to use when it comes to tracking visits and conversions. Some of the top features of Optimizely are:
- Mobile website testing
- Cross-browser testing
- Multivariate testing
- Visitor Segmentation
Just like Usabilla, the ClickHeat tool also follows the heatmap approach to display results. The best thing about this tool is that it is open-source. Now, this means that the tool comes as free of cost. ClickHeat works in a way that it allows gathering real data and that too from real users. Let’s have a look at the top features of Clickheat:
- Low logging activity
- Browsers and screen sizes are logged that allows tracking of liquid CSS layouts
Clicktale is another tool that operates as a click map. The heat map displays the report in colors. The blue area talks about the area where users spend the least amount of time. Whereas, the red marked area is where users spend the most time. Clicktale is one of the useful tools as it works for both websites and mobile apps. Some of the key features of Clicktale are:
- Click heatmaps
- Mouse tracker
- Optimize for touch devices
- JS errors tool
- Attention heatmaps
- Mobile site analytics
- Bounce report
Loop11 is a unique tool that supports unmoderated remote usability testing. You can provide a simple task to a user and then easily track the interaction. A final report is made that talks about the common fail pages, task completion rate, comprehensive paths analysis, paths, and time on tasks. Some of the key features of Loop11 are:
- Doesn’t need software to load on the website
- It doesn’t require any coding skills, and hence, easy to use
- Built for any website to get real data
UserFeel is one of those tools that is getting stronger and better every day. The best thing about this is that you can expect the result to be delivered within 24 hours, which is very quick. The tool is mainly used for remote usability testing. Some of the key features of UserFeel are:
- Multilingual capabilities
- Test on any device, be it mobile, desktop, or tablet.
- The results of usability studies are shown through highlighted videos that focus on critical issues.
- Create numerous tasks, questions, and ratings using various formats.
For unmoderated user testing, UXtweak is one of the most powerful tools available in the market. The tool works in a way that it conducts task-driven studies online, generates feedback, and observes how customers interact with your site. With that, you can find out about the usability issues of your website. Some of the top features of UXtweak are:
- The feature RePlay Tasks allow you to watch the tasks on your site or test prototypes.
- RePlay Visitors feature helps you to analyze users’ behavior to boost conversions.
- CardSort feature helps you organize the website content.
- TreeTest feature supports tree testing study.
ChalkMark is another popular tool that is used for checking UI prototypes. With this tool, you can easily test early information and design hierarchies and that too with a large number of participants. You can also share visuals with your users to get their feedback.
- Series of still images can be uploaded like scanned prototypes, wireframes, and more.
- URL is made to distribute the task.
- The output is generated in a heatmap format.
Qualaroo is one of the most useful tools when it comes to usability testing. With this tool, you can make prompt users take part in surveys or make them answer questions in real-time. With this tool, you can edit the site for optimal usability using webmasters. Though it is not an expensive tool, yet you can use a 14-day trial that you can use being a budget-conscious developer. There are a number of features available in the Qualaroo tool. Let’s find out together what all set of features you can expect in this tool:
- Inline smart way surveys through which can ask questions on a specific webpage.
- You can choose your type of participant.
- It supports questions and responses via email notification.
Userlytics is one of the best user testing tools that support easy and quick user experience testing on websites, prototypes, apps, and more. The best thing about this tool is that the testing can be run on any device. The tool supports advanced processes for test creation. This means that tests can be done in just a few minutes and the results can be obtained in a few hours. Now, let’s have a look at some of the top features of Userlytics:
- It’s a remote user testing platform that helps you obtain feedback from real users.
- For moderate and unmoderated UX testing, it supports Picture in Picture Recordings, Hyperlinked Annotations, Automated Transcription, and Highlight Reels.
- Provides qualitative and quantitative metrics.
- PII Protection that allows you to block screen recording during certain moments.
- Crazy Egg
Crazy Egg is a click-based UX tool that comes with a 30-day free trial. The tool supports heatmap and scroll maps for report generation. The application also provides some other useful tools such as confetti and overlay. With this tool, you can know about your customers’ interests in order to increase the profit from your website.
- It supports heatmap, scroll map, confetti, and overlay.
- Reports can be shared through read-only links.
- Easy to use and affordable
With this tool, you can run website testing with anonymous users. TryMyUI tool offers customizable and standalone tests. This price-based usability testing tool is a useful application even for mobile testing. The tool works in a way, it uses audio and video feedback in order to generate feedback from real users. Some of the key features of the TryMyUI tool are:
- Tracks mouse movements and keystrokes
- Supports system usability scale questionnaire
- Also supports mobile testing
- Provides basic features such as quantitative data, advanced filtering, and collaborative analysis.
- Supports testing with testers.
- Five Second Test
If you want to perform a cost-friendly usability testing, then the Five Second Test is an ideal tool to use. The tool takes the snapshot of the first impression of any website visitor. As the name itself says, usability testing with this tool is a matter of only five seconds. Besides, the process is also quite easy. Here are some key features of this tool:
- Click testing
- Navigation testing
- Variation split testing
- Preference testing
- Test customization
- Question testing
To conclude this, we would say that usability testing is definitely very important in order to find whether or not the system works completely fine with your users. So, these are some important and sought-after tools that are used for usability testing. You can choose considering your testing needs and budget.
Author Bio – Deepak works at Auxesis Infotech, a leading mobile app development company, on the position of Digital Marketer and handling all the operations related to marketing. In free time, he also loves to write articles related to web design and development, Drupal technology, Graphic designing, Mobile App Development, Hybrid App Development, Native App Development, Digital Marketing, SEO etc.